How To Make A Wood Storage Bench
With the right plans, materials, and equipment, you can construct a Wooden Storage Bench, as shown here.
- 3/4" x 4' x 8' Oak (or other hardwood) Plywood: One Piece for the four Sides, Bottom and Top Panels
- 2" x 2" x 8' Solid Oak Material: One piece for the four, Corner Posts
- 3/4" x 3" x 12' Solid Oak Material: One piece for the Four Legs and Finishing Edges
- Kreg Screws; 1/4 lb.
- 1 1/2" Wood Screws; 1/4 lb.
- Two Hinges Hinges
- One Spring-loaded Lid Support
- Wood Filler and Glue
- Satin Finish Polyurethane Poly
Step 1: Cut the Box Pieces - Determine the desired size of the bench
- Select the 3/4" Plywood Panel; Rip one piece to 15 3/8" (1/8" shorter than the Corner Posts to allow for 1/8" Edging Material); crosscut the Front, Back, and two Side pieces per the measurements above
- Select the 2" x 2" x 8' Solid Oak Material; cut four pieces @ 15 1/2" for the Corner Posts; using a table saw, trim the four posts to 1 1/2" square, as shown above
- Select the 3/4" Plywood Panel; cut two pieces @ 25" x 12" for the Top and Bottom Panels
- Select the 3/4" x 3" Oak Material; Rip 170" to one inch; crosscut four pieces (45 degrees at each end, see above) @ 27" and four pieces @ 14" for the Top and Bottom Panel edging
- Select the 3/4" x 3" Oak Material; Rip 68" to 1/8" for the Base Edging Material; crosscut two pieces @ 22" and two pieces @ 9"
Step 2: Assemble the Box Pieces - Select the Front, Back, Sides, and the Bottom Panels
- Use the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig System ; drill the holes along the interior edges of the Front, Back, and two Side Panels; sand all pieces, as shown above
- Select the two Side Panels, four posts, 1/8" Spacers, and two clamps; attach the two Sides to the Posts (two Posts per side) using clamps with Kreg screws (Note: allign the bottom edges; leave a 1/8" Post extention at the top edge for edging material); use a 1/8" piece of material as a spacer on the exterior side for a 1/8" reveal
- Select Front, Back, and two Side Assemblies; using the Kreg screws, attach the Front and Back Panels to the Corner Posts; allign the bottom edges
- Select the 3/4" Top and Bottom plywood Panels and edging pieces; with glue and finishing nails, attach the 3/4" x 1" edging material to finish the edges of the Top and Bottom Panels
- Select the Bottom Panel; Center and attach it with wood screws (counter sink the screws), as shown above
- Select the 3/4" x 1/8" Edging Material; using glue and a nailer, attach the edging to the top edges of the Base
Step 3: Make and Attach the Legs - Select the 3/4" x 3" Solid Oak Material
- Rip the stock to 2" x 45"
- Using a "Spacing Block" clamped to the Miter Saw, crosscut eight pieces to 5"; a 45 degree angle on one edge, as shown above
- Select the eight blocks, draw a similar pattern and cut a template for all eight pieces, as shown above
- Select the two of the eight pieces, using a Corner Jig, glue, and 1 1/2" screws/brads, connect the two pieces to form the legs; build all four legs, as shown above
- Using the Kreg System, attach all four legs, as shown above
Step 4: Attach the Top Cover - Select the Top Cover
- Select the hinges and attach them to complete the chest
Step 5: Finish the Storage Bench - Select the Finishing Materials
- Use Wood Filler for all holes
- Complete all sanding
- Apply a minimum of three coats of poly
Copyright 2013 - Wayne Murray
If you are a member of a non-profit organization and have any requests or suggestions regarding projects for your group, you can send Rod an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org